Social Networking websites such as Facebook, Bebo or Twitter can be good fun, but you need to remember a few rules to keep yourself safe.
Tips to staying safe online
- Don’t give you personal information such as where you live or what school/college you goto. Your real friends already know this information – why do you need to tell them again?
- Set your profile to private so only people you accept can see your information.
If someone you don’t know requests to be your friend – don’t feel like you need to accept them. If you don’t know them, ignore them!
- Never arrange to meet anyone from the internet, without a parent or guardian with you.
- Remember, people online might not be who they say they are!
- Don’t post anything you wouldn’t want your mum, dad, gran or potential boss to see – if it’s online (even in a private profile), it could end up public and can never be deleted properly!
- Never tell anyone your password, not even your best friend!
- If you get nasty or threatening comments or messages, don’t delete them. Show them to a parent, teacher or an adult you trust. Bullying is wrong – just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it different from at school or work.
If your not sure about something you've seen online, speak to someone you trust.